8420 Runyan Lake Road
Fenton, Michigan 48430

Phone (810) 629-8631
Fax (810) 629-0047

Office Hours
Mon-Thurs 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

We use hostdak web hosting services

  |  Register

The burn ban has been lifted.  Open burning is allowed.  All burning requires a burn permit and regulations must be followed.

Per the Governor's orders to minimize the spread of COVID-19, the
township office is closed until June 18The township departments continue to monitor their email and phone messages. We encourage residents to use the drop box, leave phone messages, use email, and our website to download forms.  The drop box is located by the front entrance and is secure; it may be used to drop off payments, absentee apps and ballots, request burn permits, land use permits, etc.

Township Board and Planning Commission meetings will be held electronically via Zoom.  The public is invited to attend these meetings and details will be posted.

Let's take this time off to practice gratitude, kindness and help keep everyone safe and healthy.

Tyrone Township, first settled in 1834, is located in the northeastern-most corner of Livingston County, Michigan. Historically, a major Indian trail called the Shiawassee Trail crossed through Tyrone Township as a connection between Detroit and the Shiawassee County community of Shiawasseetown. Today, the township is a picturesque rural community with rolling hills blended with lakes, golf courses and open spaces. The census population of Tyrone Township for 2010 was 10,020 citizens. 


News and Events

Burn Permits

The burn ban has been lifted. Open burning is allowed. All burning requires a burn permit and regulations must be followed.

Residents of Tyrone Township wishing to burn MUST obtain a burn permit from the township. Permits cost $5.00, are good for one calendar year, and may be obtained at the township hall or by mail. Click here for more information. Burning is NOT permitted if wind speeds exceed 8 mph or if dry conditions exist.

Supervisor Mike Cunningham and Fenton City Fire Chief Bob Cairnduff teamed to make a couple of short videos about open burning in Tyrone Township: 
burn permits and safe burning. 


Please read the Passport Operations response to COVID.

Tyrone Township is a Passport Acceptance Facility with photos available on site for $10. Customers do NOT need to be a resident of the township; anyone is welcome. Applications are accepted Monday-Thursday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm. Please call 810-629-8631 to make an appointment. Current processing time is 6-8 weeks for routine, 2-3 weeks for expedited service. 
Please click here for more information. 


We Have Moved!

We moved back in November 2019 and are now in our new location.  The Tyrone Township Hall is now located at 8420 Runyan Lake Road, Fenton. Please come in and see our beautiful new building.

Seventh Day Adventist 2020 Schedule

The Seventh Day Adventist will soon be conducting door-to-door ministry in our community.  All students carry ID and radios or cell phones to contact onsite leader. Their program usually runs from 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM, May 29 through August 5, 2020.  

Road-Kill Disposal

Residents often call the township asking what can be done with road kill.  The township, the road commission, and the DNR do not provide such a service. The DNR recommends the following if residents encounter road-killed animals on or near their property: 1) Bag up the carcass and leave it with their trash for pick-up, 2) Move the carcass to an area where decomposition can take care of it (ditch, woods, buried underground, etc.), or 3) Hire a waste control company to remove the carcass.

Disposal of Unused Medications

Several places offer locations to safely dispose unused medications. Check locations in Livingston County or in Genesee County.

Budget 2019-2020

The annual public hearing on the 2019-2020 fiscal year budget was held on March 5, 2019. 
Read the presentation here.

Recycling & Garbage

Information on recycling and garbage collection services are
located here.

Fire Protection- ISO Rating

Tyrone Township's ISO (Insurance Service Organization) Public Protection Classifications rating was updated this year. Effective Nov. 1, 2018, the area serviced by the City of Fenton Fire Department (previously ISO 6) has been upgraded to ISO 5. These ratings may provide a significant reduction in your homeowner's insurance premium. We encourage you to contact your insurance company to see if this will affect you! To read more about the ISO rating, click here. To see an updated map of the classifications, click here.


Old Town Hall

The old Tyrone Town Hall has received a new coat of paint and the interior wood floors have been refinished.  Take a look here! 

Road Complaints

Livingston County owns and maintains roads within the township unless private. Please understand they do the best they can on the budget they have. If you have complaints regarding the conditions of the roads, potholes, or mailboxes, please call the Livingston County Road Commission directly at 517-546-4250. More information about the Road Commission can be found here.  

The road commission is not responsible for damaged mailboxes from snow thrown from trucks. However, if damage has occurred from 
direct contact with a road commission snow removal equipment, a supervisor will assess the situation.  

The road commission does not pick up or dispose of animal carcasses on the roadways.  

Food Collection Year-Round

Our annual Christmas food collections have been so successful, thanks to the generosity of our residents, that we've decided to try to be a year-round collection site for Gleaners Food Bank and the Pet Pantry. Nonperishable food items for humans AND pets may be donated at the township hall. Collection bins are located in the front lobby. Donations are greatly appreciated and help feed hungry people and pets. The Pet Pantry also accepts pet-related items.

REAL-ID compliant licenses

Michigan residents now have the option to apply for the REAL-ID-compliant driver's license or ID card at Secretary of State offices. Starting October 1, 2020, the Department of Homeland Security will require REAL-ID licenses or passports to board domestic flights or to enter federal buildings. Click here for more information. 

New Safety Programs

Text-to-911 lets individuals to send a text message to 911 from their mobile devices if they are in Livingston County, offering another way to contact 911 in the case of an emergency.

Smart911 is a free service that allows residents to create a safety profile for their entire household. Residents customize their profile and share any information they want Central Dispatch and response teams to have in the event of an emergency. All information is private and secure, and it is seen only when the resident dials 911.
 Sign up at www.smart911.com.

Emergency Alert System allows residents to receive alert notifications for emergencies and other events that may impact community safety. The system alerts residents to critical information quickly in a variety of situations, such as tornadoes and other severe weather, unexpected road closures, missing persons, evacuations and other emergencies that may endanger the public. Messages are delivered wherever you specify, such as your home, mobile or business phones, email address, text messages and moreSign up for this free service here. 

Public Access Channel 191 Schedule

Charter Communications' public access channel 191 airs Fenton and Linden Schools sporting events, band concerts, local government meetings and more. To view the schedule, visit http://www.fentonareatv.com/.

Small Business Loan Program

Livingston County Small Business Loan Program offers up to $50,000 for start-up businesses or an expansion of a business.  For more information, please view the flyer here.

Property Fraud Alert Program

When property fraud happens it is not generally detected until years later and trying to track down the offenders is a very difficult task because they are long gone. Livingston County's Register of Deeds provides a free service to all land owners in Livingston County. The service, Property Fraud Alert (PFA) notifies you via email or phone number when a document is recorded at the Register of Deeds with your name on it. To participate in this free service go to the Register of Deeds webpage and click on the "Property Fraud Alert" link to sign up.

Incorrect Vehicle Registrations

It has come to our attention that a large number of vehicle registrations are improperly assigned to Genesee County, NOT Livingston. This means the township is losing 42 cents on every dollar that you pay for your license plates to Genesee County instead of being available to fix our roads. Please check your vehicle registration to make sure it is properly assigned to Livingston County when renewing plates at the Secretary of State or online. If it is incorrect, call the Secretary of State's office at 888-767-6424 and keep your money in your county.

Flag Disposal

The Tyrone Township hall does NOT accept worn flags for disposal. Flag disposal bins are located at following:

City of Fenton Police Department
•City of Fenton Fire Department
•The Hartland Area Fire Station
•The Loose Senior Center

    For instructions to make online payments, 
please click here.


Click the link above to have township
information emailed to you!


Call Livingston County Drain Commission
(517) 546-0040


Call Enbridge

Tyrone Revisited, a 143-page book published by the Tyrone Historical Society, is a fascinating account of the historical families, homesteads, and stories that have created our township.  Filled with lots of cool old photos! Black and white, 143 pages. Available to purchase at the township hall for $15. (Add $7.75 for postage; however, due to township accounting practices, a check for the postage must be separate.)








Help us find dead ends! Please report broken links to clerk@tyronetownship.us.